Sunday, February 20, 2011

Spring Fever Week 23!

This week, it wasn't as cold as it was in previous weeks, and that brought a lot of optimism into my life.  Even though on Monday, I spent it without a boyfriend, which is cool, but it was very boring that day.  Then on Thursday, it was almost 60 degrees!  I couldn't believe it!  Finally, I could smell the arrival of summer on the horizon and I couldn't wait to put away my linty pea coat, and trade it for my more form fitting lazer green hoodie.
Spring is almost here!  And the weather usually gets better in Cleveland around April and May, and I just can't wait till my graduation arrives so that I can get the heck out of this school, and the only way I will come back is if they want me to speak to those good for nothing kids because I will be some inspirational leader, whom will travel the country to speak to teens that live in inner cities.  Most importantly, this week, I finished my final college application and I also turned in my required materials for this final school.  So I now have to wait for Miami University and Howard University.  Miami will contact me on March 15th, and Howard, I don't know when.  So, my future is riding on these two schools.
With this, I've been keeping a close eye on Howard University, and I am fairly impressed with the school, and the mentality of the students there.  It seems like this is one of the only HBCUs that are doing great, but I still have to go to DC and see for myself.  So, we will see.  But what really gives Howard an edge is the fact that not only do they have a chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists, but they also do the alternative spring breaks in the locations that I feel I want to go to the most.  I feel that I have to "pilgrimage" to Chicago where Derrion Albert, and Blair Holt, among others were killed so that I can immerse myself in the community struggles, and so that I can see if there is anything I can do to help with the problems happening there.  I know that every school has their alternative spring breaks, but Howard hit the right nerve at the right time and that is why I might pick them over Miami University if the visit goes well.
Now what Miami really has in its favor is the location.  Oxford OH is only a little over 4 hours away from Cleveland, and DC is about 6 hours or more away.  Also, Miami is a really good school, but what kind is of making me ify is the fact that they do not have a NABJ, and I need to be involved in that organization because I have to do that program where they allow the students to do a type of internship so they can really get newsroom experience, and I HAVE to meet Roland Martin.  Roland has to be one of my favorite journalists, if not my favorite  You can catch his show Washington Watch on Sundays on TV One.  I also am a huge fan of Soledad O'brien, forgive me if I spelled her name wrong, if you haven't checked out any Black In America specials, then I will tell you that it is a must see for every American.  Also I like Don Lemon, and you can catch him on CNN Newsroom.  Lastly, I am a fan of Jeff Johnson and that guy is all over the place, proud to say that he's from Cleveland!
So I still have my goals set high for myself and no matter where I go to school, I know that I will be able to accomplish the goals that I have intended to get done before I die.  So, as I struggle through the many things that teens my age got through in terms of self esteem issues, I know that underneath all my pain is a strong young girl ready for the world, ready to bloom into a young woman who knows that nothing is impossible and every dream she has is attainable.
Love,
               Blackness PeAcE

No comments:

Post a Comment