Friday, December 31, 2010

"You Don't Need No Baggage, You Just Get On Board"

I think that everybody in the world should listen to "People Get Ready" by the Impressions every New Years because this song is just so optimistic as it tells you to leave the past behind and move on.  We all should listen to the message of this song and put all the depressing baggage of 2010 behind us as we carry on into 2011.  Still, it doesn't hurt to have you're own personal year in review.
The top ten-the good, the bad, and the ugly:
10. (ugly) I was humilitated when a boy thought it was funny to grab my butt and blame it on his friend. Then he got expelled from school, and that episode was the talk of our grade. The good thing that I got out of that was that I learned that I could be strong and not let anything stop me from living my life.
9. (good) My well used $300 shopping spree
8. (good) I went on my first date, which was with Donkey. eww.
7. (good) I wrote my first real spoken word poem, "Pride".
6. (good) I sold the most tickets for my NAACP luncheon
5. (bad) The first guy that I really liked back was just playing me for a fool and I had to learn it at our NAACP Freedom Fund Banquet.  Donkey was not only talkin' to me honey, so I had to let him go, but the best part was that I learned how to deal with this in the future.
4. (good) I started my very own  blogs.  One that I use to get my political views out there, "That Black Pride" and my online diary that I hope empowers others is, "Memoirs Of A Young Sistah"
3. (good) I went to my first real political rally as they re-did the March On Washington.  Even though it was not as good as it was back in 1963, it still was an experience that I will never forget.
2. (good) Going to BGF's football games were so cool!  I would just watch him out there playing and would tell myself, "that's MY boy out there! Y'all don't know him like I do!"lol  Spending a lot more time with him was awesome and I really realized how lucky I am to have him as my friend, and I gave him a great present that showed my appreciation and he loved it!
1. (BEST) Becoming a senior.  I had always dreamt of the day when I would be in my senior year in high school, and I still can't believe that I'm here!  I'm only months away from walking across the stage in my cap and gown! Going to prom! This is going to be great! So I am praying that along the way, I will have good fortune, and will get accepted to my top college of choice because this is a huge step.  I am going to have to make a lot of huge decisions on my own, even though it's scary. . .I'M READY!
  When I was younger, I use to make a list of about ten things that I wanted to accomplish in the new year, and I never got to any of them!  So I have gotten into the habit of just making no more than six things that I want to make possible.  So I am pleased to give you my goals for 2011.
  1. Graduate from high school
  2. Go to prom and have a great time
  3. Enter the spoken word contest at school
  4. Attend my top choice of Ohio State University, or my plan B's: Howard University and Penn State University-University Park.  Also get as much scholarship money as possible!
  5. Follow one of the exercise plans in Seventeen Magazine and eat right
  6. Get Straight A's on final report cards
So happy New Year!  Thanks for following this crazy sistah!  Now as school resumes and a new year begins to unfold, I hope that all of you will have nothing but good fortune.  And remember not to dwell on the things that tried to bring you down in 2010 because that's so last year.  And when stuff tries to bring you down in 2011, keep on pushin'!

PEACE!

                  Ya girl Blackness!

No comments:

Post a Comment