Sunday, March 13, 2011

Black Iz Power: Fight The Power! Week 26!

This week seemed to be very short and frustrating because I know that I have a lot to do to catch up in my College Path class, and I'm tired of not taking the steps to catch up.  On the board in one of my classes, my teacher wrote that 42 of the seniors are failing one or more classes, and I thought I was one of them, but my teacher gave me an A.  Still, I worked hard this week, and I made sure that I got all my work out the way so I could have all the time in the world to type my book because I don't have that much time before I can get it done.  Also, I was working really hard on my scholarships.  I actually completed one of the essays in one day, and I feel so energized that I can do another one!  The most frustrating thing is that my mother doesn't believe that I am working hard to find scholarships, and I am!  I don't think that there isn't a scholarship that I haven't scene!  I've stayed up late looking through list after list after list of scholarships and it's hard, but I am making progress.  I have so many online accounts for scholarship finders till it's crazy!  So, that's that.
I am proud of the work ethic I put in this whole week, and I know that if I keep working this way, I will definitely have a 4.0 by the end of the year.  If I take this ethic to college, I will become something great someday.  My mom keeps getting on me about the habits that I will have to fix when I go to college, like taking care of myself, cleaning up my room, and procrastination.  I am a huge procrastinator and I will admit it.  My motto is, why do today what you can put off till tomorrow, and that's not good!  I have missed out on a lot of sleep with this bad habit, but sometimes, it seems as if I come up with my best work when I do things at the last minute, so sometimes I purposely wait.  I keep telling my mom that I will fix this by the time I get to college, but she always keeps getting on me about it right now!  You know, I don't understand mothers sometimes.  They tell you to say, "ok Mom, I'll do it" when you want to argue, but when you say, "okay, Mom, I'll do it", they say, "I know" in a sarcastic kind of way.  What do you want me to say?!
What made this week the best is that my cousin Mr. Revolution came back to see us!  He brought his little son too, and he is so cute!  I really don't like little kids, and they usually don't like me, but his son actually waved back at me when I said, "hi", when normally, little kids look at me like I'm crazy.  So I really like him because he's so sweet!  I love my cousin because he is the only person, besides my grandparents that I can talk to about this history stuff that will listen to me straight out, respond to me, debate with me, and also educate me in return.  Sometimes, I have these moments with my mom, but she kind of frustrates me.  I always am eager to tell them what I learned about in Black history, and when I tell her, she either talks over me, doesn't respond, or interrupts me in the middle of my sentence.  The one time that really hurt me is when I had just watched an Eyes On the Prize documentary, and I went into the kitchen to talk to her about it, and while I was talking she said, "hurry up and finish what you need to be doing so that I can get on the computer."  It seems as if she listens to Mr. Revolution talk about history more than she does to me.  What also makes me angry is that when I talk about the condition of Black people, she rolls her eyes or doesn't respond to me at all.  Then at the end of the day, she admires my intelligence, and she brags about it when we talk to different people that have never met me, and she's impressed by it as well, though I know she hears me, I would love a response.  Maybe a debate or  a head nod or something so that I can know that I am heard and that I have gotten through.
During Black History Month, in the shinning moment when I put down the notecard and explained to the class some of the horrible things that happened to Black people during the early 1900s, they were moved by my testimony, and I can't explain the satisfaction that ran through my veins at the time!  I knew that I had made it, and it took bravery to shoot knowledge into the heads of my classmates because that's not an easy task.  I was fulfilled, and I still get that feeling every time I think about it!  So, I know my calling.  I know that I have to teach my young brothas and sistahs, and that is what I was put on this earth to do.  I am the messenger for all those Black voices that fell silent due to racial violence, and to Black on Black crime!  So look out because I'm ready to FIGHT THE POWER!
Love,
             Blackness PeaCE

No comments:

Post a Comment