Sunday, March 27, 2011

Prom and Leadership, Week 28!

This week has been great as well because now, I can go to someone and tell them where I'm going to school in the fall, but I haven't made a final decision yet.  You know, there is nothing better than the reaction I receive from people when I tell them that I am going to Howard University, and I am starting to feel that sense of pride that comes with going to college.  I also feel a lot better that I can write something down on the line for scholarships that asks me, where do I expect to enroll in the fall?  There is just this warm feeling and excitement on the faces of the people in the Black community when they hear that I got accepted into Howard because this is a very well respected Black community/university, and they have this rich history full of success, and I am grateful they feel that I can continue the tradition.  There is no more sadness toward the fact that I didn't get into Ohio State, and I feel very strongly that I was meant to go down this track all along like the song "Firework" by Katy Perry goes, "...maybe the reason why all the doors are closed, so you can open up one that will lead you to the perfect road.."  So I will let you know when I am officially a Howard girl!
All this week, a lot of my classmates were very nervous about a Government test where we had to memorize all the presidents in order, and their years.  This was the first test that I worked hard to study for because last semester, I got As on all his tests, but One, and this semester, I have yet to get an A.  I studied real hard because he said that if we get a 90% in the class, we won't have to come to school on the day of prom to take the final.  So if I get As on these tests, then I will definitely be at home on the last day of high school getting ready to go to prom.
Also, last week in JROTC, I skipped out on wearing my uniform in fear that I would have to lead the platoon, and I told the teacher that my shirt had mildewed.  It's not like I lost points because I wore it that Thursday instead of Wednesday.  This week, I wore my uniform because last week, he didn't even ask for anyone to come  up to the front of the class, so I thought it might be safe to do so this week.  Then this boy, whom I will call QT, came around to check everyone out.  The reason why I like QT is, he's cute and all, but he's not really ignorant.  He's really nice, and I'm glad that he remembers my name, even though a lot of people do, but I hate it when the teacher says, "Blackness did this", and then I see the confusion on my classmate's faces as they say, "who is Blackness?"  When he came to my squad, he said that hello to my friend that was next to me, and I didn't think that he would say anything to me, and I was delighted to see that he indeed did.  "What's up Blackness?" He greeted.  I replied, and he checked out my uniform, and I was good, except for my socks, but good thing he didn't check that.  Well, anyways, he was the platoon leader and he had to pick someone to lead, and I don't know why, but I got this feeling that he was going to choose on me.  This sense of dread came over me as I saw his finger point to me, and heard my name slip from his lips.  So, I walked to the front of the class, saluted QT, and did an about face, or however you spell it.  I did it so well that the whole class clapped for me!  I was on this high, but still very nervous because for one of the few times in my life, I was the leader!  After a while, I got use to everything, and it was finally over.  I was proud of myself. . .Still am!  I think I was mostly proud because I had watched that documentary about the movement that went on at Howard University in the late 60s, early 70s, and I felt that it was about time that I stopped being afraid to be a leader.  Those students inspired me, and I know that I will continue that honorable legacy.
Another thing that I was thinking about this week was Prom.  Last Thursday, the same day I learned that I had gotten into Howard, I went prom dress shopping for the first time.  It was fun, and I found my favorite dress my first time, and my friend found hers as well.  So that was finished, I still didn't know what I wanted to do when it came to my date.  I texted BGF to tell him the good news about college, and he was so happy for me!  I felt happy texting him, until he didn't text me back as usual.  Everything was going fine until I asked, "where you at?"  Then all of a sudden, my phone no longer vibrated!  I was mad!  Then I also learned that he was staying over his grandmother's house now, and she lives about 30 minutes away.  I wouldn't of known that if I wouldn't of over heard him talking about it on his phone, and at that time I didn't believe he was for real.  He doesn't even text me, or call!  It is as if I am no longer important enough for a visit!  I mean, I know that I've done something like this to him to some extent, but I redeemed myself!  I've been texting him, and I went to his football games etc, and I'm just sick of him having my hanging by a string!  So, I made up my mind to take that other boy.  I don't know too much about him, but I know he plays football for one of the local catholic schools, and he's tall and cute.  Also, he's a senior just like me!  BGF is a junior.  Then I learned that his prom is the same day as mine, so I have to take BGF now.  In a way, I breathed a sigh of relief because I still was a bit dubious on my decision.  Still, I think I really want to get to know that other boy.  I will be real sawlty if he has a girlfriend because. . .I'm going to make some real bold moves soon.
I will keep you posted.

Love,
           Blackness PEAcE

No comments:

Post a Comment