Sunday, November 28, 2010

BLACK Iz Power: Rock Bottom Week 13!

This week, I decided to do something a little different.  See, I thought it would be a good idea to use my strife as a way to inspire others who are in a similar situation.  But first, I want to elaborate on what "Black Iz Power" means.
To many of you, Black Iz Power means, Black Power, but that's not the case.  Black Iz Power is referring to the inner Black in all of us, the pride in all of us.  A long time a go, Black was in, but sense then we have lost our way and we need to find it.  We need to empower one another on our journey to finding it because only then will we have the power.  This power that I speak of is not Black Power, but it is the power of Blackness, and the power of Education.
With the power of Blackness, we will have the strength, and the pride that illuminates our Black skin.  The power of Education is knowledge of the struggle of our people, and the accomplishments we have made along the way.
And the Iz, it's just my way of separating this meaning from Black Power.
Anyhow, this weekend, I hit rock bottom.  And I mean, the REAL rock bottom!  For months I have been seeing the numbers 11 on the clock every time I looked up, and I was wondering what it meant.  I had this hope that something good was going to come out of it on the 11th day of some month, but never would I have thought it to be a bad thing on the 11th month.  This was my birthday week, and I did my best to make it the best week possible, but there were other plans in store for me.
On Friday, I was excited because I had gotten another acceptance letter and this one was from Indiana State.  The only reason why I was excited was because if I could get into this school, I can get into Ohio State!  That day, I was also on a high because I had read a story about how Bob Moses was beaten up by this white guy and still found the strength to get up off the ground, his head still bleeding, to sign two Blacks to vote.  That same day when I read that, I had gotten a text from Donkey about an NAACP table at a local high school, and I day dreamed about how I would talk to the people that came by the table and the things I would say.
When I woke up that morning, I had this feeling like I really didn't want to go, but the story of Bob Moses was what got me out of bed and into that school.  Then when I got there, I learned that there was a teen summit that Donkey told me nothing about!  I was mad!  Then he was one of the speakers, and he lied every time he opened his mouth!  He's a horrible president, and he doesn't even tell me about half of the stuff they do!  But that was just the thing that gave me a headache, there was something else that made me so mad that I cried.
I was at the NAACP table waiting for people to come, and two girls came.  The first thing they asked me was, "what do we need to get?"  I started off  by telling them about the memberships when this. . .what's the best thing to call her without going out of principal. . .person just yelled at me.
"Why you gon' tell them about the memberships without telling them about the NAACP?!"
"I was getting to that!" I said politely.
So I preceded to tell them about the different things we do and when I ran out of things I turned it over to  the Vice President.  He did a better job than me, and I felt like I failed.  I also felt like I didn't belong.  So I told my step-dad to come get me, and I couldn't wait any longer in there while I was going through hell, and Donkey was happy.  That's not fair after what he had done to me!  So I took my Martin Luther King book and sat outside in the cold that I somehow ignored over my cries.  Tears were actually going down my cheeks and I was so mad that I had almost cussed in front of my step-dad on purpose!   Then to top it all off, I learned that SG might like my friend France.
I cried all that day, angry beyond comprehension.  I kept asking myself why I had to go through this when I don't do anything to deserve this?!  Then I was, and still am, considering quitting the NAACP because I joined so that I could do something to help out my community, not the drama that seems to surround Donkey.  I'm at rock bottom, so I guess morning is coming tomorrow and the next day and the next day.
With my afro, I know that I can only go up from here.  So, I looked at it like this. . .if it's true that SG likes France, cool, it gives a good to ask Mr. Revolution to the prom!  Also, I will try one more NAACP meeting next week, and I will do my best to be above that bull!  So, I will give you an update.

PEACE!
                 Blackness

No comments:

Post a Comment